Although massages, manicures, and green smoothies are amazing and much needed at times, there is a lot more to self-care than the little sweet treats. True self-care also involves digging deep past the physical to work on the spiritual and mental levels of you.
Here are 16 ideas you can implement into your lifestyle that will teach you to take care of yourself on a spiritual, emotional, and mental level.
1. Pray everyday
Romans 12:12 tells us: Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
- Be in constant prayer with God. Talk to him throughout the entire day.
- The bible tells us to cleave to him for all things. The Most High, should be the first to hear about things good or bad going on in our lives.
2. Schedule self check-ins
- Self-check-ins are when you set aside some alone time on a regular basis or as needed to evaluate goals, concerns, and anything else
thatson your heart and mind.
- These personal sessions are a time where you can be real with yourself. Use this time to acknowledge issues, encourage yourself on success and speak to The Most High in private.
3. Live in the moment
- Living in the moment means being able to experience and acknowledge your emotions, environment, and situation right then and there.
- Living in the moment means appreciating and giving gratitude for the moment your in right now.
- You could be anywhere; a social gathering, cuddled up with your bae, or out for a run.
- Living in the moment was something I had to learn because I personally always focused on the future, which had me constantly focusing on what was not. Some of us may focus on the past too much, which leave you with feelings of what was or could of been.
- Its okay to dream and plan for the future and it’s healthy to reflect on the past, but keep a balance in your life and remember to live one day at a time!
4. Avoid eating crap food that make you feel terrible
- When you eat something your not suppose to feel sluggish and tired; your suppose to feel energized. For a long time I would eat junk food and an hour later wonder why I felt drained.
- Learning to eat properly for your body is a huge part of taking care of yourself but it also takes time for you to begin to learn to listen to your body and its needs.
- If you want to improve your eating start by cutting out fast food, processed sugars, and carbohydrates. Learn how to cook healthy versions of your favorite foods with fresh and natural ingredients.
- Get creative in the kitchen and enjoy eating healthy fresh food, that will keep you feeling and looking amazing.
5. Exercise on the regular
- Making exercise a regular part of your life doesn’t mean making yourself stick to a strict routine. You can make big fitness changes by implementing things like walking, yard work, or doing crunches before bed.
Ready to Start Your Weight Loss Journey? and not sure where to start, check out the post How to Start your Weight Loss Journey (The Essentials Guide)
- Exercising has many benefits such as helping to keep balance your mental and emotional state, increasing your energy level, helping you to sleep better, and many more benefits.
- If exercise is not already a regular part of your life, start by doing a physical activity 1-2 times a week and working up from there.
6. Stop worrying so much
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. |II Corinthians 9:8
- If you find yourself worried a lot about literally any and everything (i.e. things that haven’t even happened, bills, problems that have nothing to do with you, something that is completely out of your control etc.) chances are you worry too much.
But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today. | Deuteronomy 8:18
- Worrying comes from a lack of faith, which lets fear in. Over time you can develop tons of stress, anxiety, and depression. Over time you
will notonly wear yourself out mentally, but you will be drained physically and emtionallyas well.
- Once you start to truly grow your relationship and faith with The
Most Highand The Messiah you will begin to worry less and eventually not worry at all because you will begin to understand where you get your power from in the first place.
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. | Matthew 6: 31-34
- I also learned that worrying was useless because it did me no good; worrying didn’t solve my problems it just made me overwhelmed with life. After I acknowledged my worrying patterns I gradually stop feeding into them and they eventually became smaller and smaller until they did not affect me at all.
7. Cut off toxic relationships
He that walks with wise men, shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. |Proverbs 13:20
- Beware of keeping the wrong company. Spending time with toxic people will stunt your growth, drain your energy, and leave you feeling low. Instead surround yourself with people that uplift, encourage, and support you on different levels.
8. Have faith in The Most High
For we walk by faith, not by sight |2 Corinthians 5:7
- When you have faith in The
Most High, all your worries and fears go away. You begin to develop an understanding of how things really work and who is in control of everything.
- I remember how worried I was before quitting my 9-5. Even though I got so many inner signals to do so. After I finally did quit my job that is when I really my trust and faith really grew with God. Now almost a year later I was able to mentally detox, I lost 30 plus pounds, I finally started The Forever Summer blog, (which was something I wanted to do for a while) and I am just living, learning, and growing with my husband.
- If it weren’t for me learning to have faith in The Most High, I honestly would have let fear overtake me and you probably wouldn’t be reading this post. All Praise and Glory to The Most High.
9. Keep your environment clean fresh & organized
- There are so many benefits to keeping your environment clean and organized. For one, you feel put together instead of feeling like a mess.
- You find clarity and a sense of calmness, your space smells fresh and all your things are put away.
- Take some time getting your space together. Start with one room and at a time, don’t be afraid of getting rid of old things, and make a designated space for each type of belonging. (This means avoid creating junk drawers or baskets)
10. Be mindful of what you digest on social media and other platforms
- What we watch, read, and listen to play a major role in our mindset and belief systems. Watching, listening, and reading the wrong content will subconsciously reprogram your thoughts and values. You will begin to think things you never thought and accept things that you would have never accepted.
- There’s a lot of junk tv, junk music, and junk writing; overall junk content that doesn’t serve us a high purpose, content that shouldn’t be entertained at all.
- Follow The Most High’s Law and Commandments and use as your foundation and guide for your values and life. If anything does not fit into The Most High’s law, don’t entertain it because it’s just a distraction.
- This may be difficult for some to comprehend, but if you have ears to hear then I hope this reaches you.
- I think many people get confused on how to actually meditate. So we end up not knowing how to make it apart of our life. The bible speaks on mediation and says to meditate on God’s Law and Commandments everyday.
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. |Joshua 1:8
We aren’t supposed to meditate with crystals, rocks, or in weird poses. All these things are what The
There are a lot more scriptures about meditating on God’s Law.
12. Make time for family & friends
- It feels great to have healthy relationships with your loved ones. Take the time to appreciate the people you love in your life. It’s the little things that mean the most, like sharing a good laugh, giving words of encouragement, or just being a good listener.
- Remember the people that you love in your life are right here with you riding life’s roller coaster, so stick together and continue to grow and support one another.
13. Create a hair regimen
- Point A: Every girl loves when their hair is on point.
- Getting your hair on a consistent healthy regimen will ensure that your hair is always moisturized, your scalp is healthy, and will help you retain length.
- It took me a while to figure out what my hair liked and didn’t like after I went natural, the struggle was real; but after I created my own personal hair regimen and stuck to it, my hair transformed.
But if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. | 1 Corinthians 11:15
- Point B: As women, our hair is very important to us and we do feel confident when our hair is healthy and looks amazing. So don’t be afraid to spend some time caring for your hair.
- What are some of your natural hair care tips? Leave some in the comments below!
14. Stop putting off your goals
- We all have personal goals that we want to accomplish. If you have a habit of putting things off that you want to do, its time to start taking your self and goals serious.
- Working to accomplish a goal can be challenging, but the confidence and will-power you gain is invaluable. Set times to work on your goals and commit to them. You may be starting from scratch with your goal but before you know it, you will be on your way to success. Just remember to take everything one day at a time.
15. Have patience and be consistent
- Having patience and consistency can be really challenging for a lot of us, especially during tough times in our life. Learning to keep your mind calm and balanced will help you continue to see things
clearand keep yourfocu on the bigger picture.
- If you struggle with patience, be sure to check out the post “10 Bible Verses About Patience Everyone Should Read.”
16. Spend time in nature
- Nature has a way of instantly relieving negative emotions, stress, foggy mind, and so much more. In our “modern” society most people’s lifestyles make it too easy to become out of touch with nature.
- Take some time to go outside and enjoy some fresh air and nature.
What are some ways that you take care of yourself spiritually, mentally, and physically? What changes have you made that changed your life for the better. Be sure to comment below!